Wylie family members occupied the Wylie House for nearly eight decades after Andrew Wylie, the first president of Indiana University, built the home in 1835. The Andrew Wylie family occupied the house until 1859, and the family of Andrew’s younger cousin, Theophilus, lived there from 1859 until 1913. In 1912, the Wylies gathered at the Wylie House for one final visit to celebrate the 100th birthday of Theophilus’ wife, Rebecca.
The Wylie House was incredibly important to the entire extended family. Reba Wylie, granddaughter of Theophilus and Rebecca, wrote to her aunt Louisa that she dreamed about the house “nearly every night” after it was sold in 1913. Click on the photographs in this exhibit to learn more about Theophilus and Rebecca’s family members and their connections to the Wylie House. Please note that this exhibit focuses on family members who lived in or visited the Wylie House between 1835 and 1913.