Originally built as a library in 1890 and named Library Hall. When the old Maxwell Hall (built in 1885) was renamed Mitchell Hall (in honor of James L. Mitchell), Library Hall was then renamed Maxwell Hall in honor of Dr. David Maxwell and Dr. James H. Maxwell. Both name changes were made by the Indiana University Board of Trustees on March 22, 1894.
Photo ID Number: P0020049
“Maxwell Hall,” Indiana University Archives Exhibits, accessed August 1, 2021, http://collections.libraries.indiana.edu/iubarchives/items/show/532.